The Society for Urban Ecology (SURE) founded together with eight Chinese universities and the University Salzburg, Austria, on June 13, 2014 in a national workshop in the Capital Normal University Beijing the ‘China Centre for Urban Ecology’ (CCUE).
This new founded institutional network will support the national strengthens in China to develop urban ecology and its planning and management application in research and education and to interlink these strengthens with international activities of SURE. It will also support the SURE China chapter which was founded under the leadership of Prof. Junxiang Li, East China Normal University, Department of Environmental Science, Shanghai,
Actually in two universities, the Capital Normal University, College of Resources, Environment and Tourism, in Beijing and the East China Normal University, Department of Environmental Science, in Shanghai research groups decided to host the Centre and to participate in its activities.
The following institutions are founding members:
• College of Resources, Environment and Tourism, Capital Normal University (Host Institution)
• East China Normal University, Department of Environmental Science, Shanghai (Host Institution)
• Div. Urban and Landscape Ecology, Paris-Lodron University Salzburg, Austria (Host Institution)
• School of Land Science and Technology, China University of Geosciences (Beijing)
• Tsinghua University, Department of Landscape Architecture, School of Architecture
• Lab. of Landscape Ecology, Department of Ecology and Engineering, College of Resource and Environments, China Agricultural University
• CHESS The Center for Human-Environment System Sustainability, Beijing Normal University
• State Key Laboratory of Earth Surface Processes and Resource Ecology (ESPRE), Beijing Normal University
• Beijing Urban Ecosystem Research Station, State Key Laboratory of Urban and Regional Ecology, Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing
Further instructions are invited to participate in CCUE!
We expect to focus our joint next activities in cooperative research on urban ecology, including its application in planning, distribution of knowledge on urban ecology in education for studies but also for planners and decision makers. We plan for 2015 a first CCUE Summer School in Beijing for Chinese university students of different subjects and for planners and decision makers of municipalities. We will early announce this activity.
Please feel free to make further suggestions for activities and to join our CCUE.
Yours Sincerely, Jürgen Breuste
SURE President and Founding-President of CCUE