The 3rd SURE World Conference was a Great Success
Between 7 and 9 July 2021, the 3rd SURE World Conference under the topic “Cities as Socio-Ecological Systems” took place in Poznan, Poland. Organized as a hybrid event due to the current pandemic restrictions, over 300 participants online and onsite from 36 countries and 6 continents participated at the conference.
In the participants’ opinion, the SURE had three very rewarding days, filled with interesting plenary keynotes and sessions covering a high diversity of topics, including:
– Ecosystem services of all ecosystem types – data, indicators, bundles, synergies and trade-offs
– Biodiversity in urban areas
– Social awareness of urban ecosystems
– Ecology of degraded areas
– Life quality in cities
– Green infrastructure in the urban areas
– Nature based solutions for cities
– Urban water planning
– Waste management in urban social ecological systems
– Food production in cities – urban agriculture
– Developing of low-carbon cities
– Dynamics of urban landscapes
– Cities between sprawl and compaction
– Urban development versus sustainability
– Urban transition towards the eco-cities
– Urbanization and its changes in global perspective
– Climate change adaptation and mitigation in cities
– Smart Cities
– Nature protection in urban areas
The SURE family had many interesting discussions with researchers and participants of all over the world confirming that urban ecology is a recent topic that achieved already a lot to strengthen the sustainable development in, of and for cities, although there is also still a lot do. We thank all participants and in particular the organization team – Katarzyna Fagiewicz – Conference Executive Manager under the lead of Andrzej Mizgajski with the support of Iwona Zwierzchowska from the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Poland for making this event a great success.
This great event makes us already now very much looking forward to the next SURE Congress 2025 taking place in Istanbul/Izmir, Turkey.