SURE board meeting and symposium in Izmir (Türkiye)
Under the organization of Prof. Dr. Cigdem Coskun Hepcan (Ege University, Izmir), the SURE Executive Committee (EC) met 10th – 12th May 2023 in Izmir, Türkiye. During the board meeting, Prof. Coskun Hepcan´s great efforts to foster SURE activities through research and the upcoming SURE World Congress 2025 in Istanbul (Türkiye) have been honored by her co-optation to the SURE EC.
The board meeting was connected with the international symposium “Urban ecology and urban ecosystem management” in which pressing challenges and promising solutions for sustainable urban development have been discussed with an interdisciplinary field of speakers. The talks covered examples from Iran, Türkiye, Romania, India or Germany showing the global importance of urban ecological research and its implementation in practice. During the two-day event, an excursion to Cesme Peninsula showed urban and rural ecology interactions in practice and provided space to deepen the lively discussions during the previous symposium among the participants.
You can find the slides of some of the participants in the symposium below:
- Arife KARADAĞ – “Geographical approach in urban ecology and sustainable studies: Case of Türkiye”
- Cristian IOJA – “Challenges in planning and designing climate change mitigation and adaptation measures in urban areas of Romania”
- Akbar RAHIMI et al. – “Gender justice in green space use in relation to different socio-economic conditions”
- Héctor Tecumshé MOJICA-ZÁRATE – “The importance of pollinating gardens on the periphery of urban areas in the Sonoran Desert, Mexico”
- Meryem HAYIR KANAT and Mitra KHODAYAR – “Using urban green spaces as an extracurricular educational activities: Sample of Yıldız Technical University Davutpaşa Campus”
- Prakash C. Tiwari – “Environmental and socio-economic Implications of high mountain urbanization under climate change: An illustration of the Indian Himalayan region”